10 January 2007

Projects Galore 3

This is the 3rd post concerning my holiday projects (see Projects Galore 1 and 2 here).

Sierra's Scarves:







My lovely niece told me that she loves scarves so I made her 5 scarves. Yes 5...to be honest only one was a challenge. The first one pictured here was created with Brown Sheep's Handpainted Originals in Mountain colorway. It is absolutely fabulous yarn to work with, it has a lovely sheen and is slightly fuzzy (80% Mohair, 20% Wool). I used the left overs from another scarf and created this super skinny scarf in garter stitch and really big needles so that it would be really strechy so that it could be used as a belt, tie, head band or what ever she wanted.
The second scarf is a feather and fan stitch. This was a bit of a challenge because I had to create my own pattern from the stitch directions I found in the Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns. The yarn I used was in my stash and its band was missing when I went to use it. It is a Mohair that has been plyed with a skinny rainbow ribbon type yarn...I know that it is from Stacey Charles but I cannot remember for the life of me the name of it. I know it is still made and comes in a variety of colorways. I am pretty proud of this scarf because it was my first try into a lace type of piece. I enjoyed making it and it was also the scarf out of all 5 that I sent which my niece mentioned specifically saying it was gorgeous. She has discerning tastes (lol that is the polite way of saying she is a picky teenager...lol which she proudly proclaims herself to be!), if she says she likes it then thats teen speak for "I love it! Its so me!" (or least that is what I am choosing to believe it means lol). I am in the processing of learning some new techinques such as complicated lace and entrelac in order to make some high end looking pieces just for her.

For the holidays, as I have previously mentioned, I recieved gift certificates for books, with them I purchased 4 books. One is the "Arctic Lace: Knitting Projects and Stories Inspired by Alaska's Native Knitters"... all I have to say is WOWIE ZOWIE what a great book. It is a sociology book and history book of knitting in Alaska as well as a lace teaching book. Unbelievable. The author (Donna Druchunas) has a knack for simple easy to understand lessons. The book is not just a pattern book...it teaches you how to design your own lace patterns as well. Really fantastic! The Native Alaskan Knitters discussed in the book use a type of yarn (Qiviut) that comes from Musk Oxen (which I learned are not related to Oxen but sheep). The fiber that comes from them is rare (because the animal was close to extinction at one point but are now carefully and lovingly cared for), so as you can imagine the yarn is extremely expensive. The cheapest I found it was online for about $50.00 for a little over 200 yards. YIKES! Expensive yes but the pieces that are created from it is absolutely gorgeous. One day I will get myself a couple of skeins, one skein would not be enough to make something with would need at least 2. Yes I know, I know...$100.00+ for two skeins of yarn????? Sigh, I must be an addict/fanatic to even contemplate the purchase. LOL

Anyway thats all for today. Take care to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummm....just love the pics of the furry ones from home. Too cute. I'm still wearing my socks. They're my favorite feel good wear.

Great additions!

Love ya.